View Single Post
      01-31-2007, 06:54 AM   #20
aarnt
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvino View Post
the guy at the dealer told me to get a nuvi instead of idrive.

I don't understand I-drive why it have to be everything using the click wheel why they can make it simple like touchscreen that will be cool :rocks:
Already mentioned, you would need to clean the screen too often but that was not the reason they did not implement a touch screen. With the touch screen you need to lift your arm and aim with your finger to a small icon or button. This will grab your attention for far longer than the current iDrive does. I agree that some more buttons near the controller would be handy, or on the steering wheel. It is safer to have controls in the places your arms rest anyway than in places a driver should touch while driving anyway. Think about it, AUDI and MB are implementing the same idea, MB had it with buttons arround the screen, and the screen was placed low on the dash, and now they will change it to a higher position with a central controller and some buttons.

Several companies are following this pattern, more will do so soon. It's the safer way known to control so many functions while driving. Speech recognition could surpass it, but it is too early IMO.
Appreciate 0