View Single Post
      01-08-2016, 09:49 PM   #17
DWR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob@BPC View Post
If you have any questions about our setup or tuning processes or turbos, you guys are more than welcome to ask, I've talked with many of you over the phone and via email. If you guys want more data, I'll have NC335D's car at the shop next week. Just let me know what you want to see.

Now, onto comparing the track to the dyno to show what makes more power is kinda of an odd thing, I mostly use the dyno as a tuning tool and yes, taking the car to the track is great way to display how fast the car is, but there are so many factors that can sway those numbers in the end. (apple to oranges). So this is just my opinion on the subject.

The dyno has less variables that can effect power numbers than the track will ever have, Just to list a few: Track prep, weather, altitude, tires, tire pressure, suspension, driver, gear ratios, weight of vehicle, aero addons and so on. And now both engine and chassis dynos: dyno type, correction factor, gear ratio (this can be corrected with software) weather (this also can be corrected with software) Tire pressure, altitude (and once again, this can be corrected). To really see the effects, go to youtube, look up stock car, (something with a power adder) and search for video of it running the strip in Colorado and then look up the same car running at Moroso in west palms in FL.

Correction factors are used to keep numbers consistent. Just as an example, I dyno'd my F30 328i in the summer uncorrected it made 262rwhp, corrected it made 259rwhp SAE. In the fall before our dyno day, the car laid down 278rwhp uncorrected and corrected, it was 260rwhp SAE with no changes.

So my point is you cannot really display what the cars true power is with just a rip down the drag strip. Once again, This is my option on the subject.
I share your opinion and piggyback your comments about limiting the noises to be able to make better comparisons. When it comes to dynamic transient behavior there is no substitute for driving the vehicle.

Last edited by DWR; 01-08-2016 at 11:39 PM..
Appreciate 0