01-03-2014, 11:23 PM   #639
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjweb View Post
jgabucci,

I heard the same thing as you did in your second message from cobb. My info came directly from Cobb via a local cobb dealer. I think it's BS that COBB just doesn't come out and say that publicly. I bet they've know for a while but don't want to admit that they don't have someone in house with the skill to crack that DME. Either way, your message is dated 12/20 and yet publicly the same day, COBB states that they are still working on it.
This is bang on and I've been saying it for a long time. Very unfortunate as it means anyone with 2012, 2013, or 2014 N55's won't be able to even have a backend flash. This severely limits aftermarket turbo potential for these models too.

So tired of hearing "next week" or "soon" from Cobb.

The sad part is, these DME's aren't going to get easier to crack. It does not bode will for Cobb or the enthusiast market as a whole if we've finally gotten to the point of un-crackable ECU's. The BMW platform has always been kind of an outlier with the success of piggyback tunes, but soon as DME's get more and more locked down other platforms may follow. If you can't crack the ECU, you really don't have a choice besides a piggyback.
Appreciate 0