04-03-2014, 11:44 PM   #74
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
I wonder if there is a way to hotwire/hijack the lift pump to get a prime, for those of us who arent using a BT tool
I have a new fuel filter kicking around waiting to be installed, and I am sure I need it as my car is about 59K mi and is probably on it's original FF (I just bought the car recently, cabin and engine air filters were original, slowly replacing things).

Really believe that HPFP failures out there are related to them being starved of fuel on start up. I had an '07 E92 335i for five years prior to my 'd' and went though the HPFP recall once. Interestingly, that after pump replacement and reprogramming, you would hear the pump/fuel system prime itself when you unlock the car. Before, the recall, that was not the case. My habit is to turn on the ignition and start the car after 3-5 secs to prime the system (even my old '04 Aura TL would not start if cranked right away). BTW, never had issues with the 335i after that one recall.

Anyway, so the HPFP starvation concern with the 'd' is also there. So I looked at the wiring diagram and there are brown (ground) and red/white (positive) wires that activate an in-tank lift pump. Connection in under the rear seat, and the controller box is behind the pass. side of the rear seatback. Measured the voltage 8.7-9.0V while running. I'm thinking that if to disconnect the pump from the control box and give it 9.0V, will it run? Think, gonna try this weekend, if my electrical engineer at work checks everything out and gives me an ok. Now, the question, where to find a 9V power supply with high enough current to drive the damn thing. By my primitive calcs, it draws about 20A.

Thoughts? Comments?
Appreciate 0