View Single Post
      06-07-2018, 12:46 PM   #38
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage520 View Post
Breakthrough!!!! I need y'all to explain this to me.... so I'm still waiting on parts in the mail but I try to make it a habit to do something to the car everyday, today I decided to clean up the engine bay and look for vac leaks... in the process of this I bent this plastic tray that holds the connectors up off the rail and for some reason the misfire disappeared or at least got a lot better. Didn't believe it myself but I put it back and bam the misfire returns.... so I decide to bend it back again and go for a drive and let me tell you it rides waaayy smoother. Can anyone explain this? Kinda has me dumbfounded :
Those connectors on the rail are your fuel injector connectors. It sounds like you have a loose or broken connector or wire, and if an injector isn't working that means no fuel, no combustion, therefore you have a misfire.

The Oil Filter Housing gasket isn't the O-ring around the cap. The oil filter housing is an aluminum assembly that bolts to the block - this contains the oil filter and cap, and there's also a big coolant line going to it. It's a flat surface that it mates to and it's subject to a lot of heat cycles so the rubber gasket inside gets hard and brittle and eventually fails.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...eplacement.htm

I replaced mine last week, and although not difficult it wasn't as easy as it should have been. The bolts are a pain to access, especially the one in the back under the intake manifold. Mine was visibly leaking when the engine was running and there was fresh oil and dusty sludge all over the front of my engine, but fortunately it didn't touch the serpentine belt.

I think I mentioned this in the thread here (or maybe somewhere else) but in order to more easily access the lower bolt of the oil filter housing and get enough torque to loosen it, I removed the other coolant line going from the thermostat to the cylinder head, to the left of the oil filter housing (left, when facing the engine from the front of the car). This hose is removed by two bolts (10mm I think?) that are attached to a plastic coupler. This plastic coupler is most likely destroyed and will fall apart into many pieces when you remove it, and the O-ring will be so swollen that it won't fit properly. The coolant hose is probably also swollen, as it was for me. A new hose with the plastic coupler is only $20 (Febi-Bilstein brand) and will suffice for a long time however I bought a machined aluminum coupler to hopefully prevent this from ever happening again.
Appreciate 1