View Single Post
      12-10-2017, 01:52 PM   #46
Cruiser124
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
I think you should reconsider and take a look again. I don't own a 335XI, but it doesn't seem to me the exhaust would prevent removal of the pedestal bolts. Because they cannot be on the way of the passenger side axle going into it. I would think if you remove the passenger side axle you would access the bolts from the space left by the removal of the axle from wheel well. But even from under the engine you probably will be able reach them. And then worse case as I wrote in previous post you should be able to drop it bolted to the oil pan and remove it outside if you chose to replace the o-ring that seals its on the oil pan surface, which I do recommend because I heard those O-rings can leak, why not do it when you have the perfect opportunity to do so.

This is a picture I could find of an 5 series N55 or N54, three of bolts are exposed in this picture accesable. Granted 5 series is bigger so should have more room, but still:

http://cdn4.pelicanparts.com/techart...mall/pic11.jpg

I couldn't find any reference that mentions need of removal of exhaust to replace the oil pan for N55/N54 3 series.
I just did this on my 335xi. Zero issues removing pedestal bolts. The one by the exhaust is easily accessible with a standard wrench, and the bolt slides right out.
Appreciate 0