07-25-2010, 04:09 PM   #35
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLikesBMW View Post
I'm not sure if you're serious...surely you can't be.
Yes, I am.

Quote:
There is no inconsistency in my thought process.
Yes, there is. I pointed it out to you in detail.

Quote:
Infinitely small chance of there being a god. Infinitely large chance of there being life outside of our planet.
You have no evidence of either of those statements. Claims such as those should be substantiated by evidence, or at least reasoning. You cannot on the one hand claim vehemently that there is no God, and on the other hand claim vehemently that there must be ETI. You either accept that it possible for things to exist without being able to prove their existence or you do not. You're trying to have it both ways, thus my comment about the inconsistency of your thinking.

Quote:
This is obvious with any knowledge of the sheer size of the multiverse and having read The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins.
First of all, the concept of the multiverse is nothing more than hypothesis. It is not theory because it has not withstood the test of fitting in with observed phenomenon. Nobody has any knowledge of the size of the multiverse, as it hasn't been proven that the multiverse hypothesis is true.

As far as Richard Dawkins goes, I've never read his book, but if he claims absolutely that there is no possibility of god, then he is making claims that amount to argumentum ad ignorantiam:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance

Quote:
General form of the argument:

P has never been disproven therefore P is/(must be) true.
P has never been proven therefore P is/(must be) false.
let P = god|aliens

and you get, using god as an example:

Quote:
The existence of god has never been disproven, therefore god must exist.
and

Quote:
The existence of god has never been proven, therefore god must not exist.
respectively. It's a two way street, those who claim that there must be a god suffer from the same logical fallacy as those who claim that there is no possibility of a god. The only logical answer is "I cannot be certain of the answer".

Last edited by radix; 07-25-2010 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: changed except to accept
Appreciate 0