View Single Post
      03-07-2015, 10:31 PM   #20
bvanderhaar
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

Thanks for this DIY, I did this today since I've been noticing a burnt oil smell for quite a few weeks & my oil level declining more rapidly. I have a 03/2008 328xi. Some of my notes in case it helps others:
Buy a E10/E12 ratcheting box wrench or use your existing 8mm one. It will save you significant time. The limited access to the intake manifold bolt literally lets you move one 'click' at a time. I know the amazon one linked elsewhere is up to like $25, but seriously - it's worth it.
I didn't take the engine cover off at first - it requires me to remove a bunch of cowling, etc. However, I couldn't get the correct angle on the intake manifold bolt until I removed the engine cover.
I sprayed a bunch of engine degreaser over the leaked oil to verify the leak was plugged. I forgot to rinse it, so upon start up lots of smoke appeared. I had a minor heart attack until I remembered I didn't rinse the degreaser.
My battery didn't have enough juice to get re-started after the coolant bleed. I've been cheap and never bought a battery charger. May be worth it to have one handy.

Thanks again! I enjoyed the format (PDF w/ Pics) and the way it was laid out - separate steps for coolant bleed, focused on the OFHG.
Appreciate 0