10-19-2019, 09:29 AM   #233
banglenot
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xiT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillonInCo View Post
What would you consider "high mileage"? RWD models unfortunately are rare to find here, particularly if, like me, you want a manual trans. Meanwhile, x-Drive models pop up all the time.

My thought being that it might be ideal to search for a car over 100K miles, knowing that it's likely to have had the common failure points worked on (OFHG, valve cover gasket, starter, oil pan gasket, etc.) Though of course I wouldn't just assume.

But then, perhaps that's not the case for x-Drive cars, as around 100K they might need front drivetrain work in the near future? And changing a front axle on these cars doesn't sound like DIY material to me. By that I mean I'm sure I could do it, but it sounds like a huge PITA.
Bought an XiT last year. On general principles, over 100K, if you don't clearly need Xdrive (roads, terrain, weather etc), avoid it in favor of a RWD. I did all the work needed, but as I did, I kept realizing it's a summer car and AWD is a waste.

Lots more wear parts in the driveline, including the second differential, axles and the extra clutch assembly. The oil pan gasket is far more difficult to fix than it was on my RWD. Oil change will be needed on the x-drive clutch @ 100k -- annoying disassembly to reach the fill. Of course, moving parts on the driveshaft and axles. The rest is identical (or close to) the RWD version.

BMW CCA Member 15+ Years
Appreciate 0