View Single Post
      01-09-2023, 05:12 PM   #18
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
Yup, the problem is people want real time monitoring and then give up the privacy to get it.
I think it's more of people's perception of value and also not understanding that easy comes at a cost. I get why these things are appealing. I helped set up a Ring doorbell camera for someone. It was stupid easy. But non cloud connected devices do require some level of technical expertise to implement. And for whatever reason, home IT is something that many people refuse to spend money on getting a company to set it up for them if they lack the skills. Hence this growing industry of the easy button network devices.

Another thing that people don't understand aside from the security issues, is that they really don't own the equipment. That device is only functional as long as that cloud server is up and running or supports their hardware. Once either goes away, you're stuck with buying new hardware regardless of if that hardware is working and satisfies your needs.
Appreciate 2