rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
Just a little feedback on the shims - I've been working with somebody who's installed these to get it set up. No issues with anything (runs fine, nothing blew up), except the limitations of valvetronic itself. It did pick up a bit of mid-range, but not a significant amount - for reasons I'll detail below.

I don't know if you measured the lift increase with the eccentric shaft at full stop - but the reality is, it doesn't really pass 172-173 degrees. I'm working on that, but even if I can make it move the max value to say 175 or 177 degrees, it's still going to be less of an increase if you were measuring 0.5mm at 180 degrees. It might be worth re-thinking the design a little bit.

Maybe it would be possible to target ~10.2-10.5mm at 175 degrees or something (although I haven't actually made the eccentric shaft move that far yet). I actually think even though BMW says the maximum lift is 9.9mm, in reality it doesn't go past 9.2-9.5mm. So that could be a 1mm increase (significant) over stock. With the current setup we saw some small gains at 0.2mm (my estimate), so I think there is potential with this - once we get it set up right.

I'm going to continue working on the eccentric shaft issue and see what I can max it out at. Interestingly, if you disconnect the valvetronic motor it will go into limp mode, which moves the eccentric shaft all the way to the 180 degree stop (the only time it ever does so). Otherwise, if you log the values I can pretty much guarantee it doesn't move past 173.
Good update,

If you remember, I unplugged my valvetronic motor and used an allen key to rotate the eccentric shaft motor / cam against the stops and recorded the values in INPA, 175.4 degrees was the recording I had at the physical stop.

I never did get a tune to go above 173 degrees.

The limp mode target is 180 degrees but it never achieves that value.
Appreciate 0