08-21-2010, 04:56 PM   #6
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore335 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Do you think that the bluetooth quality will be as good as connecting my iphone into the car?
To be honest, no idea. This is the first time BMW has put out something like this, so I've never seen/heard it. But VW has it in a bunch of their cars, and I heard it in the GTI with the base (mediocre) sound system it sounded the same as auxiliary. Now it's certainly possible that with the upgraded sound system, the Bluetooth system won't be able to keep up, or it may be that it will still sound the same. Apparently BMW has said they will keep the quality comparable to other solutions (USB/aux).

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef_geek View Post
Is this going to be a hardware change or will it be a "flashable" upgrade/update so that 1 or 2 year old cars can take advantage of it?
No. The changes coming in September (cover art/BT) are hardware and software changes and the bulletin described them as NOT retrofittable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePT View Post
How is the new interface?

I am waiting for a new car with ipod interface, but the one I saw was a bit disapointing. It uses the audio output for headphones for the audio signal, and this way it's impossible to achieve good audio quality.
The new system (September production cars onwards) will be using the standard Apple USB cable for audio and data transmission so it may get better audio quality. For those that may wonder, the current setup uses a Y cable that plug into the iPod/iPhone dock connector, and on the other end to USB and aux into the BMW. The new system will simply use a standard USB cable to go from iPod dock connector to BMW USB.
Appreciate 0