View Single Post
      09-21-2016, 11:10 AM   #10
davidwarren
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328,325, 325, 335, X5, 640 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirtpants_ View Post
Yeah, the e90/e82 has a pretty large frontal area. If I remember right, the e92 gt2 even was allowed an increase in power(or decrease in intake air restriction) compared to the other gt2 cars because it's frontal area was so large. At least we get a good amount of room for extra heat exchangers.

I don't know how effective it would be to delete the cowl. The air pressure increases as it gets closer and closer to the windshield, where it builds up. That's partly why the filters for the HVAC or AC or whatever are there. So you'll be trying to push air out from the area with the highest pressure, where BMW designed for air to be forced into the car's cabin through the filters. You also might get some nasty engine smells into the cabin.
That's just my take on removing the cowl. I don't have any data to support it.
Maybe ill do some more testing later this week for the under hood pressures, and see the effects of removing the cowl. Although I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving it off in the rain since I have an open intake.
I agree. Bottom of the windshield is high pressure and deleting the cowl would force air into the engine bay, not neccessarily provide an additional exit.