01-17-2020, 04:09 PM   #12
csquared013
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Arctic metallic 2006 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
OP, nsjames is spot on in his advice. There are a lot of BMW owners that go way overboard on maintenance and parts replacement. All modern cars are designed to last in harsh environmental conditions and don't deteriorate in 3 years. Driveline fluids are not organic materials, so they don't have a specific shelf life. For chemical reactions to occur, there has to be a catalyst, sitting dormant for a few years is not going to change the chemistry of the coolant, or lubricants. Ozone can be detrimental to some plastics and rubber, but ns's advice is sound, review and replace components if they fail; you don't need to rebuild the entire car.
This is way easier on the pocket book. In this case, the car runs and drive and the only real glaring issue is the transmission. Since the car is only going to drive 3 miles from a train station and then back for work on a daily basis should I forego diag on the transmission?
The biggest issue with it is a intermittent failure to engage from 5th to 6th when not warmed up. The car probably won't even see 6th gear on Albuquerque streets though.

Should I take the gamble and do a fluid change and mechantronics sleeves to potentially fix the relatively harsh shift down from second to first and just wait for the tranny to fry itself and then go for a refurb?

This is going to be stupid to a lot of people in here who are financially better off than I am but i have an unhealthy attachment to the car lol. My DD right now is a 2016 4runner so I'm planning on (over time) putting good money back into the Bimmer to keep it around. My theory is that as long as you have the money and the ability, in theory, i should be able to keep the thing around even if its not really a monetarily intelligent choice lol.

Last edited by csquared013; 01-17-2020 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0