View Single Post
      11-12-2019, 09:50 AM   #20
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Not only because the platform was new decade ago but realistically it is easier to build and sell an oil cooler kit so that is what all of the vendors did not because it is the ultimate solution for n54 overheating issues. Bmw engineers aren't stupid. The PkK is all about coolant cooling the engine: additional coolant radiator, stronger fan, different map for the coolant pump to increase coolant flow.
You're speaking a bit too definitively. Automatic cars struggle more with water temps than manual cars. Radiator capacity is reduced. PPK aux helps make up some of that difference. As a manual owner, I can say that on track my coolant temps have been fine while oil was rising steadily. You absolutely do need more oil cooling capacity. Coolant temps do play a big role in oil temps but it's not a direct relationship at all. especially so on a modern BMW that was designed to intentionally manipulate in-cylinder performance and efficiency by changing coolant/cylinder head temps independently from what oil is doing.
Appreciate 3