09-03-2018, 12:58 PM   #5
MFactory
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
awesome. I'm so tired of all the kids recommending cheap garbage "BC/Fortune Auto/etc" coilovers (all basically the same thing with a different sticker on the box). You can hardly even buy decent struts/shocks for what some of those kits cost - but they probably don't know what coil bind is anyway, and don't care as long as it's low.

Marty, good spring steel doesn't really settle significantly. That's pretty much the reason they use steel and not whatever is in those cheap knockoff springs..
To be fair, I wouldn't lump Fortune Auto in with BC etc. They do have their own Roehrig Shock Dyno, so do have the ability to custom-valve their own dampers, unlike all the budget Taiwan stuff kicking around. Just don't use their generic springs though; upgrade to the Swift or Hyperco that they offer.

If the community decides they want it, the next part in this 101 was going to be valving theory, where I will go into detail on how a damper functions, how the valving affects it, and post up all the dyno graphs that I've accumulated over the years.
Appreciate 2
6ixSpd6014.50