Thread: Strut nut size?
View Single Post
      11-24-2020, 10:07 AM   #7
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Send a message via AIM to N8N Send a message via MSN to N8N Send a message via Yahoo to N8N
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Not enough clearance for an offset box wrench. If I remember rightly, the OE nuts were 21 on mine, but the special active nuts were 22. I could be wrong there, but they definitely weren't the same size. I ended up grinding flats on a deep socket, so I could use it as a pass-through to install the SA. Cheaper that way than buying a special socket. Maybe one day I'll get a new socket for my set, but for now the modded one isn't offending me...
thanks for the reply, very helpful even if it wasn't the answer I was looking for :/

I haven't ordered the installation parts yet for these struts as I was going to do it Friday after I got paid. Guess I'll tack on a 22mm cutaway to the order, or maybe see if a set of pass thru sockets is affordable enough to make it worth trying that instead. Don't want to mod my current deep sockets as I don't have a lot of extras especially in the big sizes. Last resort I guess will be stopping by harbor freight and getting a set to cut up. Pretty sure the old cutaway that I used on my VWs was 21mm but I will stop by storage and try to find it tonight to confirm. If I had a welder I'd make a set of deep offsets that would fit, but if I had a welder I'd likely have a compressor too so there ya go...