View Single Post
      09-06-2022, 12:00 PM   #3
silverseal99
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d 335d Sport

Garage List
Check MIL and Readiness Monitors Before SMOG

Before you head to a SMOG check, you should verify the status of your MIL/SES/CEL and readiness monitors (RM) or you may be wasting your time. If you have a MIL set or if sufficient RM aren't ready, you will immediately fail SMOG. In "Kalifornia," a gas car can have 1 RM not ready while a diesel can have 2. You can check MIL and RM status with a code scanner or, if you have an OBD/Bluetooth adapter, with one of the free apps for your cell phone (although I have Rheingold on a laptop, I keep an ELM327 in the center console and use the free InCarDoc app on my cell to check status, clear codes, etc).

It should be noted that whenever you reset a MIL, you also reset the RM monitors. This can be a significant event. The 335d requires a "drive cycle" (a "rub your belly, pat your head, hop around on one foot" drive specified in ISTA) to reset your RM. One 335d took around 400 miles of driving to set the RM to "ready" (using the ISTA "drive cycle") while another 335d did it more quickly through normal combined driving. Beats me.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf 335d Drive Cycle.pdf (1.61 MB, 28 views)
Appreciate 0