View Single Post
      12-20-2011, 10:00 PM   #7
Turkeybaster115
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionredwing View Post
Lots of cars getting up in there in mileage now (mine is 82K), so adding some more info. My car is in the shop at the moment, undrivable due to engine overtemp warnings coming up repeatedly (after a week of leaving my car garaged).

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID LEAK:

I'll start off with the ATF fluid (ZF 6HP19). As there are many threads on this already, I'll keep it short. Basically, noticed transmission oil leaked after a week of non-use, and confirmed after my car was put on a lift at the mechanic's. Interesting that others also noticed leaks after leaving their car parked for an extended period of time. Search for the SIB if you're still under warranty.

Luckily, I already ordered the following kit months ago in preparation of my next track event:
http://www.thectsc.com/index.php?p=p...=187&parent=43
$238.03 + shipping

Labor was 1.75 hrs for me.

Lastly, my oil came out black, so if you track your car, this is a MUST do maintenance!

IMPORTANT: 6 liters included in the kit is NOT enough if you're doing a thorough drain. My car was left to drain overnight. I recommend purchasing an extra 2-3 liters at $17.13 from the site. I had to pay $30/liter locally because I didn't stock enough.
You track your car regularly, and you are using that cough syrup (oem trans fluid)? That fluid is way to weak, and thin for regular track use. Mine was black after just 50K miles, and no track use.
Appreciate 0