11-18-2010, 11:20 AM   #7
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob G View Post
Racer,

I got the JL XD600/6 amp recommended on this forum by Technics and others. technics makes a wiring harness that allows you to translate the BMW wiring into leads and connectors suitable for an aftermarket amp. His leads are clearly marked, makes the substitution of an amp much easier.

I have the HiFi system, which in this case is an advantage since they are easier to mod than the Logic 7. My case is also a litttle different in that I am replacing the underseat woofers. The BSW kit does not replace those. BSW suggests their aftermarket sub to augment low frequencies, but they still assume the midbass will be handled by the OEM underseat woofers. Some people, like myself, are concerned that lack of attention to the midbass can not be compensated for by an increase in the lowest octave.
The OEM hi-fi midbasses are actually pretty good when they are limited to only the midbass frequencies. The addition of more power from an aftermarket amp will make them a little better. Its when they try to play lower into the sub-bass frequencies that they start to suck. If you're going to install a true subwoofer in the trunk, trying to get the most out of the OEM midbasses is actually a decent way of doing it if you're trying to stay within a budget.