Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Dub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
Picked up the car after installing the BFI stage 1 motor mounts and the E46 M3 trans mounts. All the drivetrain slack is gone, particular the jerkiness of the car at 1st and 2nd gear, (and I have an AT, the 6MT drivers will notice an even bigger improvement I bet)

Downside is that they do add fair amount of NVH, there is noticeable amount of vibration inside the cabin at idle and you will notice the weird harmonics at 900-1000rpm when you take off from a stoplight. And you will get quite a bit more induction sound from the engine to the cabin with these mounts, which might be a good thing if that's what you are looking for (sounds more like a NA engine in this case).

Overall, the tradeoff for comfort not terribly bad, but if you are relatively sensitive to noise and vibration like me, these will certainly catch your attention.

FYI, the noise does seem to die down a bit (like 20% decrease) after a few short drives from yesterday. Will see how these perform after some break in. But I would not recommend anything stiffer than these stage 1 mounts for street use daily driver.
Cloud9blue I too have a automatic trans n54. I would like trans mounts. Why did u choose the ones you got?
I am using the OEM E46 M3 trans mounts. It is already significantly stiffer than the stock e9x ones. No need to go any stiffer for a street automatic car. Plus it is OEM, so it should be more durable than most of the half ass aftermarket trans mounts out there.
Appreciate 2