View Single Post
      10-04-2015, 09:12 AM   #8
WallyF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 eDrive40

Garage List
C998 still there

I still have the C998 fault code even after clearing it several times, checking my tire pressure and "resetting" the tire monitoring function.

An internet search comes up blank except that Pelican Parts says it has to do with the ABS/DSC system.

I believe that my system is an ABS 3 since the 2006 3 series was the first year for the Run Flat Tires(RFTs). The fault is somehow related to the "long term" comparison of the rotation of the four wheels; i.e. flat tire monitoring. The 2006 does not have a TPMS and relies on this tire rotation comparison to identify a flat tire.
Here is the description I found:
ABS 3 / DSC
The ABS 3 system added yet more features to the previous systems, such as individual wheel speed comparison over long terms. Gathering the wheel rotation data, and comparing it is accurate enough to identify differences in tyre tread wear, but its main use was as part of a tyre pressure monitoring system. Decreases in the rolling circumference of the tyre from tyre deflation could be monitored as a passive system to identify low pressure in Run Flat Tyres which would often be hard to notice otherwise.

I have checked my tire pressure and have set them to the same value but still get this fault code. Therefore, I must have a slight difference in the diameter of one or more wheel/tire combination.

I welcome any comments into my conclusion.

Wallyf
Appreciate 0