12-29-2011, 11:01 PM   #17
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM3M5 View Post
I have mine set to 50% with the 11-1 aggressive alpha map, stage 1, PWM meth, and otherwise 100% stock from snorkel to tailpipe - wheels, shocks, springs, and diff.

I also have the Pilot Super Sports, just put them on the rears after I burned through the PS2 ZPs. I have definitely noticed a good improvement in grip accelerating in a straight or exiting corners - high and low speed. I'm not super-worried about my clutch now, since it's held like crazy on both the worn PS2 and brand new PSS.

I've driven a lot of other tires on other BMW applications in lots of varying conditions, and nearly none of the lower-priced tires can hold a candle to the all-around performance and comfort of Michelins. Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec and Bridgestone RE-11 are great but noisy as hell and can be scary in cold and/or wet conditions. Hankooks, Yokos, Toyo street tires, and Kumhos are cheap and perform like cheap tires. Continental DWs hold a second place to the Michelins due to slightly less grip and more tread noise once you get a couple thousand miles on them. Haven't run any Pirelli extreme performance tires, but they make a good, not too expensive all-season P Zero Nero A/S that runs well against the Conti DWS. I haven't read anything great about any extreme performance summer Pirelli tires, and I haven't had any customers request them, either.
Good to know. Perhaps instead of spending $1,900 on an LSD, I should have spend it on a set of Pilot Super Sports.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0