05-04-2008, 09:53 PM   #21
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongchen View Post
Wow, this is getting off topic. I would also be interested in which fuse disables the ABS.

For those that are wondering why you disable ABS on the track...

My instructors have said that it is for safety reasons. If you spin the car the first thing you do is "put both feet in" (brake and clutch). You want to lock all your tires so that they have no grip and that you spin off the track in a straight line. That allows for your car to behave in the most predictable manner possible. You want your car to behave as predictable as possible because there can be cars right after you traveling at high speeds that needs to avoid you. If ABS is engaged your wheels will alternate between having grip and no grip. Each time a wheel has grip your car will rotate around that axis. This results in your car taking a wobbly, unpredictable path off the track making it hard for other cars to avoid you. Disabling ABS isn't really for your own safety but the safety of others on the track with you.
I thought modern ABS detects situations like that and locks the brakes in a spin situation? I know mine locks up when I spin out on the skid pad.
Appreciate 0