07-02-2008, 02:37 PM   #238
meyergru
No military grade
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler9595 View Post
meyergru - I tried to get my dealership to downgrade me from 29.2 and they said 'no'. How did you talk your dealership into doing this for you???????
I did not have to do anything like that.

In february, I had a problem with USB audio which my dealership could not fix. They told me that I should use only recommended USB sticks from the 6FL info document and that there is no newer software to fix it. Since BMW does not recommend USB sticks in that document, and I already tried two different sticks in vain, I demanded a recommendation of BMW customer service.

They referred me back to my dealership, but in such a case, this is already escalated to some customer relationship foreman, not a normal foreman. So, the order to fix the problem came from BMW themselves.

The foreman called me and told me that, yes, there was a problem and that in the meantime, there was a new software that should fix it. Knowing that 29.2 was out and that this could cause problems, I asked him if this already was the newer v30, which was supposed to no longer have the lag problem. He told me that it was v30.

So, after getting updated (and lagged), I simply told him that now, there was a second problem with the first one not even really fixed.

He took in the car, acknowledged the lag problem and asked BMW for permission to downgrade. The rest of the story is known.

BMW simply could not deny to fix a problem which already got escalated to the dealer because BMW wanted to keep its house clean in the first place. My foreman was very relaxed about this as he knew that either BMW engineers would have to fix the problem or that they had to give him permission to downgrade. As this was a PUMA case, they go great lengths to solve such problems. Also, this was the 3rd time they tried to fix the problem...

However, it is not the shop's choice to downgrade, they need explicit permission from BMW to do so and normally, this will not be given. Rather than that, they will now start finding a general way to fix this problem and make that available, when it is ready. They would not have downgraded my car either, they just wanted to verify if this would really fix the problem and presumably, to get FASTA data from "normal" as well as from "lagged" state from the same car. Call me guinea pig.

Last edited by meyergru; 07-02-2008 at 02:59 PM..
Appreciate 0