View Single Post
      05-01-2019, 09:57 PM   #12
Garageaholic
Private
Rep
Drives: 1989 350i

Power Steering Rack/Lines/Reservoir!

Time for power steering. This was not plug and play for this swap, but it also was not difficult. Just need to be mindful of your welding. I did this for my E30 S62 swap back in the day and it worked perfect for both the power steering lines as well as the air conditioning lines. Just cut, reposition/add/remove, and then reweld. All 4 major components were set in their place, and then it was just a matter of connecting A to B.
Power Steering Rack
Pump
Reservoir
Cooler
Once I had it set in place, connect the tube to each of the components and figure out how to make them connect with minimal interference to other items (frame, other tubing...etc). When welding, I needed to make sure I didn't overheat the tube welding close to the rubber hose. So other than that, it was pretty cut and dry.
Here is the layout of the reservoir and lines before modifications:

I know it looks dirty for now. But it will all be cleaned up after final install. Here I have the high pressure tube in a vice before I cut it for reweld.

Positioning the reservoir in the general location I need it. This is not rocket science, so I needed to make an appropriately sized angle, shave it to conform to the wheel well housing, drill the holes where I needed them (using a vernier caliper), weld the nuts to the backside, then assemble.

Here's a shot of the necessary positioning of the lines going into the power steering cooler (part of the radiator subassembly)

Some pics of the lines themselves after having been welded, repositioned, and then installed.

And finally, what would this be without a video to complement the details not mentioned here!?
Appreciate 2
Silnismo225.50