08-31-2016, 06:27 PM   #18
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M340i M-Sport w/ VDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by vautrain View Post
I assume you're talking about the DWS (as stated) and not the DWS 06 revision? My understanding is that Conti has addressed some of those issues in the DWS 06.

Regarding your BFGoodrich balance issue, I wonder how common it is to have tires that simply fail to balance, despite all best efforts. I assume it was all four tires? Hard to dismiss if that was the case (unless perhaps just a bad batch). Did TireRack acknowledge or address the issue, aside from doing the exchange?
I have yet to try the DWS06. Like you, I have read the reports stating that the sidewall has been stiffened a bit alleviating some of the issues I mentioned. Considering that the Ultra High Performance DW Summer tire is also a bit soft, I'm not confident that even the new 06 will be stiff enough. But again, I haven't tried them.

It is not unheard of for a tire to not be able to be balanced. However on my BFGs, all four of the tires vibrated. Mind you, my sport package wheels have two different tire sizes for front vs rear. This means the tires came from at least two different manufacturing batches.
This would indicate either very bad quality control at BFG or just a lack of care on the part of the installers.

I went in detail about the merits of the BFG because, absent the balance issue (which may very well have originated from the mount/balance technician, rather than the tire itself) the tire seemed an all around upgrade to the DWS at a very similar price.

I never followed up with TireRack on the tires. I told them I didn't like them due tyo the balance. They sent me shipping labels and a UPS guy to retrieve the tires. Once they got the tires back they immediately refunded my purchase price. TireRack has a 30day test drive on most tires. You can send those back, even if you just don't like them. I never asked TireRack what was wrong with those tires.
Appreciate 0