BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rleven View Post
A $10 knob does not replace a short shift kit. Have you ever even driven a car that has a short shifter installed?
Oh, thanks for the enlightenment. I know the difference between a short shift kit and a countersunk shift knob. On my last car, an s2000 (which probably has one of the best gear boxes of any car in any price range), I had both a short shift kit (axialflow) as well as a countersunk voodoo knob. I tried multiple combinations of the stock shifter with different shift knobs as well as a SSK with different knobs until I found the best combination. So, yes, I know the difference.

I also know that the feel of the stock 6MT in the E9X feels like GARBAGE. The throws are way too long and the gearbox overall feels extremely rubbery. After changing out my shift knob/boot with an OEM M knob it feels 100 times better then stock. I no longer feel the need for a short shift kit in this car now, and I wanted to make this point so you could consider another option at least until a SSK comes out. Have you ever tried a shorter weighted knob on this car? I was giving you some advice from my own experience, not talking out of my ass.

Here was a pic from my s2k from when I had a SSK and countersunk knob installed. In the end the best combination ended up being the SSK with the stock knob, but the countersunk knob with the stock shifter wasn't too far off, and it also vibrated way less.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0