View Single Post
      09-17-2018, 03:56 PM   #32
Freiheit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Competition Coupe

I think one of the biggest drawbacks of any ride search is, as it was said above, how uninformed the various dealers are. They list colors by the wrong names, or invent their own names. They list wrapped vehicles by the vinyl color not the paint color. They never know the names of the interior leather colors. I've seen Bamboo called Saddle, Tan, Beige, Brown, and a few other things. I've seen a growing trend of listings that call any interior trim color "blue/black brushed aluminum", a trim option that I don't believe BMW ever offered in the E92. Because of this, it does me no good to search for cars with any color box checked. Ditto for the transmission because as was mentioned earlier, many dealers consider DCT a manual. Technically correct (no torque converter, no valve body), but not accurate (the damn thing can shift without being told to).

I can't think of how many times I've been frustrated in my search when I would see a perfect color, CF roof, heated seats - and then in later pics I see those seats have the dreaded black/red two tone. Or I get my exact spec but then see a sunroof. I think it would really shorten my search efforts if I could search by option, along with color code, and a mileage and price threshold.

What would be really awesome is if the ride search gleaned the VIN from the sale posting, and ran it through any of the decoder databases. Then I could check/uncheck whatever I wanted to look for. I'd like to do a search for nothing but cloth seats, or individual colors - just to see whats out there. Maybe I could use the VIN to allow me to specifically exclude cars with options I don't like? If I could check a box that eliminated two tone interiors from the results, I'd be thrilled. I'd really like to never again have to see "S403A - Roof, glass electric" or whatever BMW calls it.
Appreciate 0