Gig103
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tesla P85D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan484 View Post
My questions:

1: I think I may also be worrying too much about water drying on my car while i wash it. By the time I finish I have probably rinsed the whole car at least 20 times. Can I wash my whole car, cover the whole thing in soap, at one time and rinse once? Or would I run the risk of leaving the soap on the car too long?

2: I also use Meguiars Ultimate Liquid wax. Before reapply the wax I know I need to wash the car, but should I clay bar the whole car again?

I'll probably think of more questions later, But if any of you guys think I should change something in my methods let me know.

Thanks, Dylan
I'd say you're off to a good start using two buckets and grit guards.

1. I would not wash the whole car before rinsing. I prefer to wash and rinse the car by panel. Roof (wash & rinse), Hood (wash and rinse), then across the driver side, trunk, and up the passenger side, ending with the front bumper.

Once it's all washed and rinsed, I do another rinse of the whole car without any pressure - look at this video on the "Sheeting method" which helps get rid of water droples - and then dry gently with a Detailed Image Waffle Weave towel (they're the best, I swear by them).

2. You do not need to clay bar before waxing. I actually would avoid clay bar regularly. Even with a mild clay you can introduce imperfections easily enough that I barely ever do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan484 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Would you recommend chemical guys products? I see a lot of people talk about them and would like to try some out but I would have to order from online somewhere.

If so, what products would you recommend me getting to start with? I do have some of there microfiber and drying towels that I love.

Thanks, Dylan
I use CG Maxi Suds instead of Gold Class. I'm not saying it's a huge improvement over Meguiar's, but it is a better value (a gallon lasts up to 4x longer for only 2x the cost, and it smells like cherries).

This image here is from after applying CG JetSeal and topping it with Poorboys Natty Blue

However, since then I've moved onto Blackfire Wet Diamond. It's a thin sealant that goes on and off very easily and lasts longer than waxing. You can also put wax on top to add some 'wet' look.
Appreciate 0