View Single Post
      04-12-2019, 06:10 PM   #14
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz77 View Post
Call me skeptical. The old FSDs sold for around $750/set and the new Special Active are selling for $525/set. They made them better and cut the price by 30%?
You are not the first person that said Koni told them these are better. How are they better?
I'm sure these will be a good solution for those looking for a comfortable ride. Hopefully they are more durable than their predecessors.
Can you direct me to someone who's had problems with the FSD? Somehow in my research I couldn't find anyone (directly) complaining, though heard mention of it from a couple of others.

Like the other posters, I hope the special active is good because I've got a pair waiting to go on the front of my car (rear to follow, when time and funds allow).

To anyone wondering about roughly how the shocks function, they have a damped compression valve which serves to hold the compression circuit open (soft and comfortable) for small/sudden suspension movements (which are characteristic of hitting bumps). The longer duration movements of chassis roll or pitch allow enough time for the compression valve to close, which firms up the damping and prevents excessive chassis movements. Obviously the valve has no sensors, so can't tell the difference between sudden, harsh braking and a bump (for example), so it doesn't work in every scenario. Same goes for if you have the damper loaded up then hit a bump - the valve can't open without the suspension rebounding at least a little.
Appreciate 0