01-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #34
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigiggs View Post
First off Schumacher was spanking no one in '91. He was merely coming up the ranks. He has amassed the most points, statistics, championships, etc throughout his illustrious career in F1. Schumacher however is not the greatest driver (skill wise). He was and is a perfect tactician; he always wisely chose his teammates and always had an outstanding technical staff to attend all his needs. But he will never beat an Ayrton in the rain or beat a solid teammate, case in point Nico Rosberg.

If you don't believe me watch this video where he himself says so at 2:40:

I love everything about Senna and I do understand those that place Schumi over Ayrton as a better champion but surely not as a better driver.
I don't think anyone can so easily make such a conclusion.

Senna was at the peak his career, whereas Schumacher only had a couple seasons under his belt, when Senna perished. To say that one was more skilled than the other in their prime is to do injustice to both of them.

There were some stunning drives in both the wet and the dry from both drivers. Senna's stunning win at Interlagos with half his gearbox missing and Schumacher's domination of the Spanish GP in 1996 in a vastly inferior Ferrari are two prime examples.

Back on topic - if we are talking about the best COMPLETE drivers, it would have to be:

1. Schumacher
2. Prost
3. Alonso
4. Senna
5. Mansell

If we are talking about the quickest (sheer pace and overtaking ability):

1.) Senna
2.) Mansell
3.) Schumacher
4.) Gilles Villeneuve
5.) Hakkinen/Alonso

I can't really include the recent ensemble into the discussion (Hamilton, Vettel, etc.) as they are too early in their careers to properly judge them. But I would not be surprised to see both of them end up on the top 5 list at some point in the future.
Appreciate 0