01-20-2012, 07:33 PM   #44
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigiggs View Post
First off Schumacher was spanking no one in '91. He was merely coming up the ranks. He has amassed the most points, statistics, championships, etc throughout his illustrious career in F1. Schumacher however is not the greatest driver (skill wise). He was and is a perfect tactician; he always wisely chose his teammates and always had an outstanding technical staff to attend all his needs. But he will never beat an Ayrton in the rain or beat a solid teammate, case in point Nico Rosberg.

If you don't believe me watch this video where he himself says so at 2:40:

I love everything about Senna and I do understand those that place Schumi over Ayrton as a better champion but surely not as a better driver.
I meant after 91; I'm well aware that he was a kid and he didn't race the full season. However, he was a podium regular (and winner) by '92 (even beat Senna in points).
I didn't say he was the greatest "skill wise". I said he was more complete than Senna and that Senna was probably more naturally talented.
I would not say for a minute that Schumacher's points come from ALWAYS having outstanding technical staff at his disposal, but fair enough (he once won a race stuck in 4th gear). He's never had a solid teammate because he is always so good that he is hired as #1 haha, and because he emotionally trounces them every time. But I do agree it hasn't been anything like Senna/Prost. Perhaps because Schumacher had less competition and surely 2 of the best drivers wouldn't drive for the best team? Benetton didn't have the funds, and Ferrari always has a clear #1.
That said, do you or anyone seriously believe that for the period between, say 99, and 2004, there were no significantly talented drivers in the world? I am always puzzled to read people saying that it wasn't that Schumacher wasn't super good, it was that the rest were mediocre. Think about what that entails for a second. But I'm off topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
So, you've never heard Schumacher refered to as "Regenmeister" (Rainmaster)? Because this became a pretty prominent nickname for him. As for the video, all Schumacher says is that he was number 1. But really what else would he have said there, "No, I'm #1"? That would have gone over well...

Anyways, I don't necessarily think Schumacher was better than Ayrton. I think it's a bit futile to try.
What he said. Imagine the criticism he would've received for saying that HE was #1, for starters. What else would he say? In all sports when there is a close rivalry, you always say your opponent is the best. You can almost hear it in the way he says it too (this is subjective, though).
Appreciate 0