View Single Post
      01-24-2018, 07:08 AM   #1
tmwmad
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: w e90 320d

Garage List
2006 Bmw 320d M47n2 Glow plug errors

Hi everyone, this is my first time on this site and my very first post sorry if if is in the wrong place. I have heard great things about this site and how helpful the members of this forum are.

My wife owns a 2006 BMW E90 320d M47n2 it has 79k miles and a full service history. We have owned the car for just over two years and during that time have only added approximately 8k miles but it has never let us down.

A few months ago whilst servicing the car I checked for any errors with my Delphi 150e Clone diagnostic. It showed errors for two glow plugs although the car started fine every time and it did not affect how the car drove.

Whilst researching about the glow plug problem I discovered that ignoring this problem could lead to problems with the DPF not regenerating. I therefore purchased 4 new glow plugs and a Beru glow plug module which i had heard is best to change at the same time as the glow plugs.

Prior to removing the old glow plugs I again checked for errors, this time it diagnosed that all four glow plugs were faulty. My son and I replaced all four glow plugs and the glow plug module last weekend which went quite smoothly. Once put back together I started the car and it started first time albeit a bit lumpy. I again checked with the Delphi and again it showed all 4 glow plugs had errors which I expected as it hadn't been reset. I erased all the errors (4212,4222,4232,4242 Glow plug cylinder 1,2,3,4 Activation Intermittent) and started the car again.

Alas it still shows up all 4 glow plugs have an error exactly the same as before. I checked all cables were secure and fitted correctly, voltage to the Glow plug module from the starter motor showed 12v.

I assumed that I may have received a faulty module even though it was brand new. I installed the second new Beru Glow plug module and it still showed four faulty glow plugs.

Clutching at straws I checked everything again including fuses. I noticed that if I removed fuse 66 (DDE) behind the glove box the errors do not come up.

Can anyone please advise me as to what else to check to rectify these errors and is it possible to leave the DDE fuse out in the meantime so that DPF Regeneration can take place or will this cause damage. Any advise would be very welcome as it is driving me crazy lol. Many thanks in advance, Martin
Appreciate 0