02-23-2018, 09:26 PM   #559
CobraMarty
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi e90 + e92

A PM conversation-
Quote:
Hi Marty,
Following the milvs threads since day 1. Have a question on machining accuracy of the mod. Not searching by any means what exactly do you do to the stock part, just curious if you measure several units at the point you machine them, what kind of variation are you getting in thousands of an inch?
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMarty
My machinist is OCD anal. I say that in the highest complimenting respectful way.

Every single piece is measured.
They are all machined exactly the same.

Part of the accuracy is BMW themselves. The pieces are 'die cast' of quality metal. Every piece is exactly the same from BMW. Zero tolerance difference. All 10+ million that I estimate that they have made.

My machinist tolerances are less than 0.001", less than a thousandth of an inch.

Interesting is that the 'used' supports that I give him to machine are slightly 'harder' than the new parts. He has to set the mill slightly different for the 'used' parts.

The machining is very different than machining aluminum.
In my machinist words 'you have to have been doing this a long time to know the details in how to machine the part correctly and accurately'.

And to think that I thought I would buy a $2000 home mill and machine them myself. Thank goodness I found my machinist.
I would not make the MILVs available without him.

5 areas are machined and the oil 'groove' has to be machined.

I hope that helps,

Marty
Appreciate 1