View Single Post
      02-03-2008, 05:05 AM   #3
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

If you want my opinion, I think there is a lot of scare mongering going on at the moment. It would take a stupid and very naive Chancellor (or PM - see Scooba comment above!) to raise VED on Band G to £1000+. The motorist has been hit hard with fuel rises already and the Govt have reaped the fiscal rewards of that. The motorist has been exploited and financially raped by this Govt over the last ten years, often using the environmental cause as the reason. There is little appetite, I believe, to extend this to punitive VED rates at the moment, unless of course you ask the environmentalist lobby groups. What is probably more likely is another band - 'H' which covers vehicles which push out, say 300gm/km, which would hit very expensive, and big, cars. If you ask me, manufucaturers are doing there bit, BMW a good case study, in terms of developing more economical and less polluting engines. This should be further encouraged and incentivised by the EU and the the National Govt.

Having said that I for one would not be buying a large 4x4 (GL Merc) if I had to pay VED!
Appreciate 0