View Single Post
      03-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #17
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRotor View Post
Hey, TDI, I've been considering a snow kit, but I'm not confident as to how it ties in. Would you mind enlightening me as to how & where you tied in to the MAP and how you used that output to control the Meth? I know you used a modified JBD control, but was this to alter the fuel delivery in tandem with the meth or to actually control the meth injection (or both). I'm thinking of using e full snow kit, stand alone. Unless i can wrap my mind fully around what is needed, i will be recruiting the help of a diesel mechanic friend/coworker, but I'm wondering if there are any "gotcha's" which I should look out for. Thanks!

For anyone else's benefit who is wondering where the MAP Sensor is, I believe this is how to find get there...
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...0#post12279400
Thought I had a pic of the map sensor splice, but can't find it. I got a bit of free time now so I'll go grab a pic in a few mins.

I'm using a short piece of really thin solder braid (something like this http://www.hmcelectronics.com/produc...Fc5AMgod42YAbQ) to slip inside the OEM connection, then crimping that to a wire wrapped in shrink wrap to form a weather tight seal. The wire goes to the 0-5V DC Snow adjustable controller (you set the start point and the end point and it does a linear progressive curve output to control the pump). The pump is a 250 psi Alcohol Injection Pump. The output goes through an AEM flow gauge unit and into the AEM nozzle. It's a pieced together system...

Regarding the JBD, I modified it so it's a progressive controlled unit. Made a circuit which monitors the engine rpm's, and linearly increases the JBD rail pressure distortion above ~2400 rpms. Until ~2400 rpm's the JBD is basically off, and then increases to 100% at ~4400 rpm. Did this for a few reasons:
1. Reduced stress on injectors from above stock rail pressure for the vast majority of operation (99% of the cars driving is below 2500 rpm's so no excess rail pressure in those conditions).
2. Reading how the DDE adapts injector behavior leads me to believe it will tend to adapt out the JBD's behavior if its used at high levels all the time. Having the JBD essentially off during rpm's where the DDE adapts injector behavior leads to, I believe, higher output capability when it's needed (high rpm's, high load).
3. Reduced stress on the tranny by keeping peak torque levels below the transmissions rated capacity.
Appreciate 0