View Single Post
      02-17-2006, 06:07 PM   #38
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
akhbhaat - we're all entitled to our opinions, and I certainly didn't mean to turn this thread into yet another debate about run flats. Though I disagree with most of your points (mainly due to the context in which they are presented and the assumptions made), I certainly respect them, and appreciate that you make an intelligent and articulate argument. This is refreshing, since most debates on the forum have disintegrated into "uh-huh" and "nu-uh".

One point I'll give you is that an experienced driver or even a calm educated driver is capable of safely manuvering a vehicle with a high speed blowout to a safe stop, those individuals are a very rare breed in the U.S. This is a culture in which people see nothing wrong with eating donuts, drinking coffee, applying makeup, and especially yakking on their goddamn cell phones while driving. Heaven forbid they think that doing 70 mph in thick traffic is worthy of their undevided attention. But I digress... Maybe I'd feel better if everyone else on the road had RFTs so they won't take me with them when they crash.

I consider myself an above average driver, but I've never had a blowout or a simulated experience of one, so I have no clue how I would react. I have to tell you that I like the idea that my wife is driving on run flats and if she has a blowout she'll be able to drive home and park in the garage (at which point it will be my problem to deal with).

FastAttackNick - first off, welcome to the jungle. I can't really speak to the claim that performance would suffer with conventional tires on the E90, but it is true that the car was designed to have run flats and the suspension is tuned for them. This is (these are) my first BMW so I can't compare to a previous ride, but I have had other sport sedans and coupes and I don't feel that anything is sacrificed. If you read the article in the January Roundel magazine you will find that they took a stock E90 with RFTs onto the track and though skeptical at first, they were impressed.

In the end it's still a matter of opinion. But if I were dead set agains RFTs I would buy a different car, not buy an E90 and then swap out the tires.

Anyway - good debate! Even if we are

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0