View Single Post
      02-28-2008, 05:08 AM   #5
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Paul,

My vote was for a 'nearly new' 335i manual. I've also driven the auto and it's convincingly quicker than the 330i. The downside of this plan though is:

1. Once again you are buying your way into some very serious depreciation. Is the 335i different / better enough to justify that cost?

2. The 335i engine note lacks some of the refinement of the 330i's and on that basis, you really have to start to think about the 335d instead. Just as quick, better economy and better residuals.

I'm personally somewhat hacked off by the plummeting value of petrol engined BMW's (and petrol cars generally).

My 330i is still a great car and there is very little I don't like about it. It's still going to be a great car when it's 5 years old.

Having said that .. because I am an idiot and get excited about new cars, I've been wondering what I'll replace it with for the last year.

I'm feeling my latest plan is going o suit me best. Hang onto the 330i until it's 5 or 6 years old and owes me nothing. It's still going to be a great way to travel and an enjoyable drive.

Then .. instead of pouring all my money into one car which needs to do everything. I'll satisfy my whimsy with something that is purely a toy and as a result will not be a money pit of depreciation.
Appreciate 0