View Single Post
      05-09-2011, 02:05 PM   #226
Turkeybaster115
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
Datalogs with the BT cable confirmed this. Although this is not yet in limp-mode territory, I'm nevertheless of the opinion that the AR design oil cooler is not in an optimal location. It partially covers the water radiator, thus preventing it from being cooled by airflow, and most probably heats it up as well (although I would have to document this phenomenon further with datalogging). That is probably exacerbated with AT cars as their heatload is bigger due to the transmission being cooled as well
I am an AT car, with an AR design retrofit, and no OEM oil cooler. I have driven around on the city, and highways, and extensively logged water temps. I am not seeing higher water temps because of the AR design oil cooler location. I will take data at the track in 13 days, but I am not expecting to be supprised by this. I think the data we have gathered so far is strongly pointing to coolant/water ratio together with the presence or absence of a coolant additive is the biggest factor in controling water temps. The best temps so far seem to be seen with 100% water+coolant additive mix. Both the HP autowerks modified car, and ER 135/335 cars run with 100% water + motul mocool, even with their larger 3L radiators. Just food for thought.

Quote:
Looking back I believe that currently the STETT oil cooler (stage 2) with the modified thermostat is probably the best solution for an oil cooler, as it replaces (if I understand it correctly) the stock cooler with a bigger core and removes (or replaces) the stock thermostat (which also helps quite a bit I think).

Alpina_B3_Lux
There are positives and negatives of every of the oil coolers on the market, and I thought a lot about this, before i picked AR.

1. evolution race werks: total of 8 liters of oil needed each oil change, with fears of dropping oil pressure, because of the massive size. Totally blocked out front air brake ducts. Non-Setreb Cores. Complicated install.

2. Stett- wether you run with or without their thermostat, the oil isn't getting hot enought too boil off condensate, and water is getting into the engine, causing noise, and possible failure long term. It also blocks out the brake air ducts. Complicated install.

3. dinnan- perfect, and proven. Large setreb Core that doesn't block the brake air ducts. Very expensive. Complicated install.

4. VK motorwerks- out of buisness, no setreb cores. Complicated install.

5. OEM oil cooler- too small, although, does not block off the brake air vents, just like the dinan. Complicated install.

please note that I am not bashing any of these products. If anything, thanks go out to all the aftermaket oil coolers for their help. Just explaining why I choose the one I did. If I had to do it over, I'd still go AR

Last edited by Turkeybaster115; 05-09-2011 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 0