View Single Post
      01-07-2016, 09:01 AM   #38
stanlalee
Major
Rep
Drives: 07' E92 335i manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Limitless View Post
These aren't BMW problems, they're typical car problems. BMW only made it better by adding in sensors Japanese cars usually do not have, so BMW can actually warn you before shit hits the fan. All brake are due for replacement sometime during the cars life, just that instead of you knowing by either your brakes suddenly failing all together, or squeaking, there's a light on the dash that conveniently warns you. When you replace brakes for the BMW, it is always recommended that you replace both pads and rotors. Any competent mechanic that knows anything about european cars should be able to do it, BMW dealers will just rip you off. Wear and tear items like that are obviously not covered under warranty, that's practically saying that the warranty should also cover tire replacements.

I personally do think BMW's are more costly to repair, and more things are prone to failure than Japanese cars. But that has nothing to do with the problems in the OP. Let me know if you find any car that won't need their brakes changed some point in their life, I'd like to save a few hundred bucks every year or so.
Yeah they put all these sensors on that malfunction and cause more trouble than good. My brake wear sensor light would go of every several thousand miles with nothing wrong. Reset and go. When I finally upgraded brakes the sensor hadn't even been touched by the rotor and came right out without breaking. I get SOS call malfunctions which I don't even use but they magically tied it into systems I do use so that when it fails I have no radio or blue tooth. Dealer fixed it by coding something out (satellite radio module) and a week later same problem different module. I get rear tail light warning all the time when it's working. I get trunk open when it's closed and locked. Simple shit like rain and cold weather trips these sensors. We can make excuses and justifications all day based on brand loyalty but they are just unreliable period. They leak all over prematurely (VC, OFH, Oil pan, turbos), the fuel system is junk (fuel pump and injectors fail), turbos are from the early 90s lineage and fail early (both Wastegate and normally), the water pumps rarely get you to 100k. This isn't maintenance stuff just unreliability.
Appreciate 0