View Single Post
      12-07-2016, 07:30 AM   #18
JTC1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
Shell and others have a strict policy that if its not their fuel, it must be labeled as such on the pump.
PL
That is true, but there is no guarantee that the owner of the station is following these policy's. Even Shell will tell you that it is up to the owner of the station as to what fuel he chooses to use. Some stations in my area have markings that says something to the effect "this pump may not be a Shell product" which is very nebulous. I try to avoid those pumps altogether. Other stations have pumps with the markings of the brand name when in fact I know they are not using the branded fuel. Realize this, the money for gas station owners is in selling items from inside, not fuel. A dishonest owner can draw more people into his store by lowering gas prices and using cheaper fuel in order to compete with the other guy down the street, while at the same time making everyone believe he's using the branded fuel. I've seen it done. I try and use a few stations that I feel comfortable with the product they are selling, but it is not always possible to use those stations. When I have to use a station I don't typically use and know nothing about, I take comfort in using an additive....but hey that's just me.
Appreciate 0