View Single Post
      12-07-2016, 08:55 AM   #22
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Saying that one wishes there was proof that additives actually make a difference isn't the same as saying one should not use them.

The $$ is not the only thing. We actually do not know what side-effects using additives can occur, whether its upsetting the delicate balance of fuel properties in favor of one, or worse things like CBU. Many additives s.a. Techron use heavy metals or molecules to work - and adhere to the fuel injectors, for example, to "clean them." There is reason to believe these metal "adhesive" particles can also attach to other metal surfaces. Most posters that complain of CBU never mention any details about how they care for their cars, not to mention any additives or "off-brand" fuel.

Of course this is pure guesswork on my part but the idea that extra additives are NEVER tested for long term effects is very significant to me (PS at least tests batches for compliance with required fuel properties). Disposing of perfectly good plastic bottles after using unnecessary additive is not environmentally friendly, and there are still some of us in the diesel community that might care about this. I just hate wasting my time and resources, and don't buy my coffee by the cup at Starbucks either.

Cheers,

PL
Appreciate 0