View Single Post
      03-16-2016, 04:53 PM   #32
jtonky
Registered
Rep
Drives: E93 330D

boot leak resolved

Hi I had a leak now resolved.
Since i owned the car the car some times had condensation in the inside. there was recently 4 days of heavy rain and it got much much worse. The boot interior around the battery was damp and the rear lamp had condensation in it.

i exposes the battery and noticed water so i ordered some cheap tubing and siphoned put two buckets of water! i looked on you tube and saw some videos and did some tests with a hose but nothing. i gave in and took it to my local garage in (deep cut garage gu16 6ez) and they put an engineer in the boot with a tourch having removed the battery. they noticed watwr was running into the battery well from the rear. they removed the bumper and saw how water ran off the body work and onto the chassis and through a crack in the welding in to the battery well.

they advised that the car had previously suffered rear end damage ans that when this was repaired this was not spotted and it was about two grains of rice in size, now filled and the bu,pwr back on... no more water in the well..

so looks like there are a few ways for this to leak but if anything i would say remove battery and get a friend to shut you in and then watch the leak come in. you may need to remove the bumper as the outside body work allows water to run against the chassis / outside of the battery well.

i was charged £126 for 3 hours labour and parts inc vat. so its pot luck how quick they find it but i think that price is reasonable as left un checked the damage to the wireing loom would be expensive.

i chose this garage as they are an authorised repairer for allot of insurance companies and they service / repair emergency service vehicles so they have allot of experience with a wide range of cars. somthing to think about. A BMW garage i think are more used to new shiney cars and dont see so much of these sorts of issued as most insurance companies will never authorise a repair to be done by bmw
Appreciate 0