View Single Post
      02-13-2018, 06:54 PM   #23
ColoradoCale
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 528i xDrive; Z32 300ZX TT

Got the motor in!

$1400 for an engine with 97k from a donor sideswipe salvage car with no damage to the driveline. Came with all the accessories so I should be able to recoup most, if not all, that I spent on the motor from the old engine just from the intake manifold, injectors + rail, new coil packs, electronic harnesses, and DME.

Has anyone done a swap on a xi? For the front drive shafts do I need to go through the entire process listed on Replacing output shafts + links to other necessary steps + the track rods, guide rods, wishbone bearing, etc or can I get away with removing the shocks/springs and raising them up to get the front axles out of the diff? Only have experience with RWD 3-series so the front half of the drive system is a new world to me. Had to do a clutch release bearing on an early 90s Subaru transmission and it was a cinch to get the front axles out without having to go through all the work listed in the guide I posted.

I've compiled and printed every step necessary from that site to make a master guide (more than 60 pages) from start to finish, and combed through it in its entirety to come up with all the replacement parts needed.

Also, any recommendations for where to get tools second hand or cheap?

And one more thing, going to be using rmeuropean for replacement aluminum parts/gaskets/self-locking nuts/o-rings etc since they are local (free pickup/no shipping) unless anyone knows where to get parts for a little less. Most inexpensive I've found so far, but never hurts to ask

Thanks all! Can't wait to get started!
Attached Images

Last edited by ColoradoCale; 05-01-2018 at 08:45 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 0