05-28-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
OSK77
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '07 BMW 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Lightbulb CPO Maintenance @Budds Oakville + Bimmersport: HPFP & Injector Recall Replacement

Thought I would share a series of maintenance updates my car went through a few weeks back so folks who are not aware of some of these things can have a handy reference. I am not a fan of 'Condition based servicing' and like to change fluids on a fairly regular/consistent basis as opposed to waiting for the computer to tell me when to change fluids. Also, most people talk about their negative experiences. Thought I would add a positive review
  • MY: 2007 CPO (bought at 47K kms from T&C)
  • 335i E90 Sedan (ZSPwith + Oil Cooler)
  • Oil Change + Filter Interval: Every 10K kms - now contemplating going down to every 5000 Kms (I know a bit excessive for Synthetic oil, but oh well)
  • Current Kms: 69K
  • Total Ownership: Less than a year. Since BMW T&C did NOT share the detailed service history of the vehicle, for my own piece of mind I am being a little extra cautious with the car's maintenance.

Went for a preliminary fact finding meeting @ Budds BMW Oakville and met Gregor Ibowski (great guy whose knowledge is vast, also does most of the Dinan tunes at the dealership - very professional and courteous).

He read my key fob and we went through all the fluids that may need changing now that the car is coming to a 4 year life span. I also found out my "Paid 80Km/4 year service plan" expires end of June so he wanted to get as much paid warranty service done before June. He was also going to fit in one more oil change at 71K kms.

It was great timing because I was up for the following Recall's as well:

1. Fuel Pump replacement (fingers crossed)
2. Injector tolerance review and replace injectors where needed
3. DME Software update (I had one done earlier this year by BMW Hamilton as well). To date, I have had ZERO HPFP issues on my car. Hopefully it stays that way.
Note: The major change through the HPFP software update (as Gregor explained it) is that BMW "re-map's" the transmission shift points.

Here are the fluids we decided to change irrespective of service interval - even though most of these fluids were up for changing (except the transmission fluid). For a handy reference, a Houston based BMW shop has a fairly finicky maintenance interval plan. Check it out: http://bavarianmachine.com/maintenance_post96.html

1. Power Steering Fluid (typically every 4 years)
2. Differential Fluid (typically every 4 years)
3. Brake Flush (every 2 years)
4. Coolant (only use the original BMW blue version or then flush the system 4 or 5 times before putting a new brand in there - typically every 4 years)
5. Transmission Fluid (every 100K kms)

We went through all the pricing, the only fluid change covered by BMW was the Brake flush. The remainder fluid changes were pricey if I got them done at the dealer. I called Bimmersport and spoke to John, he could do all the fluid changes for half the price, Gregor was cool about it.

So for less than CAD $300 taxes in (total time: 2 hrs), I had Bimmersport replace/flush the following:

1. Power Steering fluid
2. Differential fluid
3. Coolant (original BMW coolant supplied by them - total cost $80 + tax)

Notes:
- Re: Coolant flush > Bimmersport confirmed I did not need to change the fluid, but for my own piece of mind I said go ahead as it has been 4 years. This way I knew everything is up to date.

- Transmission Gasket lead found > As the car went up on the hoist we noticed the transmission gasket had a leak. Good thing we found it. A common problem Bimmersport comes across with N54 engines apparently. Anyhow that would be a big job ($1000 or so to remove/replace gaskets and add new oil). I knew this would be covered under BMW warranty, so I did not sweat it.

I booked my appt. with Budds and the car went it a week and a half later as I needed a rental as well. Got a Volvo C30 as a rental (lets just say, I'm going to stick with BMW's). Here is what they did in 1.5 days.

- All three recall's done: incl. Fuel Pump replaced, 4 injectors replaced, DME/Software updated. So far so good, car is running fine.
- Brake flush done - a decent difference in the brake pedal, good stuff.
- Transmission gasket replaced and new transmission fluid added (about 9 Litres) under warranty (yay!). Wont have to worry about this cost at 100K.
- Spark plugs changed
- Air Filter/In-Cabin filters replaced
- Front door panel Tweeter's fixed - they were rattling. Tried some Hans Zimmer sound track for testing, voila...they are fixed.
- OEM Privacy screen's for rear side windows re-adjusted with OEM velcro
- Right side view mirror folding mechanism was acting wonky - they replaced it under warranty.

Total cost at Budds Oakville: $16 for the rental! Everything else done under warranty by Budds.

Great service from Budds Oakville and Bimmersport.

Next up looking at the following upgrades:
  • DINAN STAGE 2 [OR...?]
  • BMW PERFORMANCE WHEEL SQUARE BOTTOM - NON ELECTRONIC
  • M5 SHIFTER
  • HID FOGS
  • STETT OR HPF INTERCOOLER
  • BMW PERFORMANCE EXHAUST
    • M-TEC KIT FOR 335I PRE-LCI
    • BLACK FRONT GRILLS
    • SHADOWLINE TRIM CONVERSION
    • FOG LIGHT ACTIVATION SWITCH
    • ALFLUGEN SF-71 19" SET UP WITH MICHELIN PILOT SPORT'S STAGGERED

07' E90 335i | COBB STAGE 2+ TUNED | COBB DOWNPIPES | COBB FMIC | COBB CHARGE PIPE | BMS DCI | ACCESSPORT V3 | RB PCV VALVE UPGRADE | MONACO BLUE | DAKOTA BLACK | ZSP | ZPP | NAV | MICHELIN PILOT SUPER SPORTS ON BEYERN MESH

Last edited by OSK77; 05-29-2011 at 07:00 PM..
Appreciate 0