View Single Post
      09-25-2019, 11:06 AM   #59
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Convertible 2007 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
Try hitting the crank with some 800/1000/2000 grit sandpaper, then some rubbing compound, and see how smooth it comes out. Doesn't look like there was too much gouging. Plasti-guage it with a new bearing in place to see what kind of clearance you have. I have not done this with a crank but I've done it with the cams. Crank is a bit more important lol. Worth a shot though. Like I said earlier, worst case you're out a couple hundred bucks and time and effort and you end up swapping in a used engine anyway.

So, car sat for a few months and when you started it up it ate the intake cam and a bearing? Could material from the intake cam have caused an issue on that rod? Dry start? Who knows honestly. I can assure you it has nothing to do with journal #3 though. I have one I am working on that ate #5. Previous one I rebuilt ate #4 and #5. Another one ate #2. Crank usually takes too much damage for the machine shop to comfortably re-finish it but your crank doesn't look as bad in comparison. New N55 crank will run you $1400 or so and will require tearing down most of the engine. At that point you're better off just dropping in a new engine.

Either polish it up and slap it back together or swap in a new used engine. Part this one out to recoup costs or try to rebuild it as a fun project. Sucks but blown engines happen.
Yeah, I have this thing so far apart I may as well go all the way. I truly think that there may be some embedded aluminum on the main crank bearings like I found on the other rod bearings that didn't spin. The engine is harder to turn than it should be. I have nothing to lose to take this one apart and look at the crank mains. I already have to drain everything, drop the transmission, remove the whole engine, etc. after that taking this engine (that is already half apart) out of the car, I may as well separate the block halves and see what I got to work with. I rebuilt the N54 in my other E93 so I have done all of this before, except the crank. It would actually be less hassle and money at this point if I can get this one rebuilt. The only question is how those crank bearings look.

As far as the story from the prior owner that the engine problem started after sitting, if that is true then they must have ran it for a while. Maybe revving it up trying to figure out what was wrong because the #3 bearings were worn down and had to be pried out from flattening out. That combined with the fact that crap got in every bearing.
Appreciate 0