Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkentrader View Post
Super bummed that my 2009, 70k mile Le Mans blue 335 started developing bubbles on the roof a year ago, which obviously led to the clearcoat peeling off in small sections, all the while spreading.

No big deal, right? It’s just the roof - I could always strip the clear and have it wrapped in jet black or Shadowline black to match my trim!

...but then the ultimate insult happened - my freakin hood just developed the same quarter sized delamination/bubble in the clear. Now I’m pissed.. this is the “newest/low mile” car I I’ve owned(out of 30+, most of which were bmws) and never once have I had to paint a panel.

Clearly beyond the factory 3 year warranty on paint. But.. curious to hear if anyone else has found their factory paint to become defective prematurely. My mechanic said it’s common on Le Mans blue bmws, but I can’t really find any evidence to prove it being beyond anecdotal.

Anyone ever try to file complaints with BMW NA? It’s seems futile to try on a 10 year old car, but maybe there is a minute chance if it has been documented that certain colors were doomed from the start due to a paint supplier fault, or some other equivalent.

Note: my car has had paintwork performed by the previous owner(rear quarter), but the hood and roof are definitely factory virgin panels. Car is not garaged, but is washed and spray waxed every two weeks.
My ceramic coated E90 is mostly garaged. It sat outside for two weeks when I went to Qatar. I came back and the clear on the roof failed. I covered it with paint match vinyl wrap.
Appreciate 0