View Single Post
      10-09-2020, 12:16 PM   #1
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

Cam Bearing Ledge Seal Failure? 2A98, 2A99

Hi guys I have faults 2A98 and 2A99 (camshaft correlation) that keep getting thrown on my N52. I have changed camshaft position sensors and vanos solenoids but the faults keep coming back and the vanos is in limp mode.

I occasionally get 2AAC which is an issue with the inner DISA but I'm not sure how this relates to the vanos faults above. I haven't checked the valve yet but when I had the manifold off a few weeks ago to replace my starter motor, the valve was stiff and I can currently actuate it via ISTA.

I also did an oil change and measure the oil that came out. Unfortunately my sensor was not working properly and was reporting full but I was 2 quarts low. When I would get the low oil warning, I would add a quart so its been 3 quarts low at times. Last oil change was 5k miles ago.

Initially on a cold start, there is a longer crank but it turnsover. After the first start, it doesn't hesitate to turnover but it is in vanos limp mode.

Running the motor with MAF unplugged doesn't change things.

Is there anything else you can suggest checking before removing the valve cover and inspecting the cam ledge bearing seals? I don't think the motor has jumped timing as it drives fine in limp mode. Part of me wants to try a new crankshaft sensor but I don't think that will solve it.

On an unrelated note, I do have to say the car sounds better when rev matching on downshifts now that it is using the throttle body for air flow control.

Mods: 330 N52, 3-stage manifold, MILVs, catless headers, StageFP Tune, Dinan Style CAI with K&N filter, charcoal filter delete and Rev Motoring Silicone Hose
Appreciate 0