09-16-2019, 05:31 AM   #24
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWinAZ View Post
Because it eventually becomes somewhat clogged up. I am also not a believer in lifetime fluids, so when I drained and replaced the almost ten year old steering fluid (which was almost black, new it's dark green), it made sense (to me) to also replace the reservoir. Doing this tends to prolong the life of the steering fluid pump, which is more labor intensive and pricier to replace.
Eh, my car has 382,000 miles on it with the original PS pump and steering rack. I've drained and replaced the PS fluid twice, at 150K and 300K. The only thing I've done to the PS reservoir is replaced the o-ring on the cap, which prevents the fuzzy oil gunk every BMW with that reservoir gets. I've never seen any manufacturer include PS fluid as a routine maintenance item.

How do you know it becomes somewhat eventually clogged? Have you tested one, or opened an old reservoir up and inspected the filter? I think the filter getting clogged is just an assumption. Have you ever replaced the lifetime fuel filter in the fuel tank?
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 09-16-2019 at 05:37 AM..
Appreciate 0